Wednesday, June 8, 2011

HCG Vegan Protocol - Day 1 of the VLCD...Here we go!!!

Mood: Irritable, tired, mildly hungry
Total Weight Loss: 0 pounds


Last night, I had plans to make today a super-productive day: clean and organize my apartment, do yoga, recycle some stuff, etc. However, I woke up and felt like being in my pajamas all day.  It's normally difficult for me to take a "chill-day" without feeling guilty.  So, when the mood strikes, I seize the opportunity! I did get the recycling done though, lol!

I feel very irritable, but I think that is largely because this is my first day on the VLCD plus my first day without caffeine.  I decided I was going to substitute Yerba Mate for coffee in the morning. Yerba Mate is a South American energy tea that does not contain caffeine. I love my coffee! Without it, I feel like this guy...


This portion of the diet, the Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD), will last for approximately three weeks.  Essentially, it is a 500 calorie per day diet. HCG works by shifting how the body uses nutrients to meet its needs.  Basically, HCG shifts the body into a fat burning mode by pulling from "abnormal" fat stores and using those stores for its energy needs.  As a result, you aren't hungry.

For the first few days, you may experience a mild hunger that is easily controllable. After that, you aren't hungry at all! I always say...the heavier you are, the hungrier you are.  The toughest part of losing weight for me has always been my appetite and hunger.  That's why I love HCG...I'm usually not hungry and if I am, it isn't a strong enough urge to entice me to cheat.

Here's what I ate today...


Breakfast
Yerba Mate Tea - 5 calories
A handful of strawberries - 30 calories
Green Tea - 0 calories

Lunch
Quinoa Salad - 143 calories
1/2 cup of cooked quinoa - 127 calories
1 cup cucumber slices - 16 calories
Bragg's Liquid Aminos, Salt, Pepper, Garlic Chips

Season cucumber slices with pepper, salt, and garlic.  Top with Quinoa.  Add Bragg's Liquid Aminos to taste.  Mix well.

Dinner
Lemonade - 6 calories
16 oz. purified water - 0 calories
Lemon flavored Stevia, to taste - 0 calories
Juice of 1/2 of a fresh lemon - 6 calories

"Panzanella" - 145 calories
1 slice of Ezekiel bread, toasted and ripped into bite size pieces- 80 calories
1 medium vine-ripened tomato, sliced - 35 calories
2 tbsp. minced garlic in water - 30 calories
Pepper, Spicy Sea Salt, Onion Powder, Italian Seasonings to taste - 0 calories

Dry saute minced garlic in a hot skillet.  Add tomato slices and season to taste.  Cook to desired consistency.  Add pieces of Ezekiel Bread.  Mix well.

Dessert
1 Navel Orange - 80 calories
Chocolate Stevia, to taste - 0 calories
"Lemonade" - 6 calories

Total Calories: 415

My "lemonade" recipe has really helped me get through the day. Stevia is an herb that is related to the chrysanthemum family.  It is calorie free, sugar-free, low-glycemic, and all-natural.  It takes some time to get used to the taste.  Once you do, it is tasty! I like the brand Stevita, especially the flavored varieties.  Stevita's Liquid Stevia extract comes in so many flavors: toffee, chocolate, peppermint, lemon, strawberry, etc. I always purchase it from Discover Stevia.  They are fast and reliable! Discover Stevia

"The "lemonade" also contributes to my water intake requirements.  It is recommended that you consume at least 2 liters (a little more than 8 cups) of water daily while on the HCG diet. My other best friend is herbal tea, hot and iced.  Of course, drinking herbal tea also helps me satisfy my water requirements.  Between the two drinks, I am set!
I did well today.  Although I was irritable, I didn't guilt myself for feeling that way.  I owned it and had a nice day all by myself.  Where I need to improve is with the calories.  I ate 85 calories less than I should have.  Dr. Simeons recommends that you try to stay as close to 500 calories as you can.  Tomorrow, I will make sure I eat more of my veggies to meet my caloric requirements.  I can't weight to wake up tomorrow and see how many pounds I've lost....




2 comments:

  1. Totally bookmarking the lemonade recipe - love it! I'm starting the HCG diet next week. Psyched to set your blog aside to read through in preparation. So many of the "HCG blogs" out there are really just sketchy advertisement sites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That's exactly why I wrote this blog! I'm glad you find it useful. Good luck : )

    ReplyDelete